August 13, 2014
Recipe for Fluffy Blue Corn Waffles
Posted by: Doniel Winter
One of the most pleasurable ways to wake up is to the aroma of fresh coffee and sizzling buttermilk batter wafting from the kitchen. Our Belgium Waffle Breakfast is a favorite among our guests: Two delicately stacked waffle triangles topped with thinly sliced fresh strawberries that have been tossed with a smattering of sugar granules. Accompanied by a generous dollop of Jon’s special homemade whipped cream. Served with honeyed greek yogurt and a fresh fruit medley.
Asia B&B Spa’s Fluffy Blue Corn Waffles:
Here’s the secret to our light and fluffy waffles: A thick batter with gently folded whipped egg whites. Read on for the batter recipe AND the secret ingredient to our delicious homemade whipped cream!
- 1/2 cup blue cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted melted butter
- 1 egg, separated
- 7/8 cup buttermilk
- Heat up waffle iron. Thoroughly mix dry ingredients in a bowl that preferably has a handle and spout.
- In a different bowl whisk melted butter, buttermilk, and egg yolk.
- In a third bowl use an electric hand mixer to beat egg whites, just enough so that it holds about a 2 inch peak.
- Add liquid ingredients gradually to dry ingredients while mixing. Better not to over mix.
- Finally use a spatula to gently fold in the egg whites. This will only take 3-4 folding motions so that you can still see nice “chunks” of the egg whites in the batter. Batter should be thick enough to where you need a spatula to guide batter onto waffle iron. Spray a cooking oil on the waffle iron and pour the batter onto the center of the iron and gently push the batter slightly outward. When you close the iron, the batter will spread to the edges. Voilah ! Lightly spread melted butter on finished waffle.
- Makes two large waffles ( 9 inches in diameter ). Recipe can be doubled or tripled.
Finally, the secret ingredient to Jon’s homemade whipped cream ? Besides the traditional ingredients ( heavy cream and vanilla extract ) we add a dash of Lemon Extract which gives the whipped cream a subtle twist and offsets the fresh strawberries perfectly. Try out this recipe or better yet, Come stay with us and we will make it for you !